Micron 7500 is the world’s first mainstream data center SSD with 200+ layer NAND, providing superior quality of service and delivering new benchmarks in performance
Micron Technology, Inc., (Nasdaq: MU), today announced the Micron 7500 NVMe SSD for data center workloads. The 7500 SSD is the world’s only mainstream data center SSD to feature 200+ layer NAND, utilizing Micron’s 232-layer NAND and enabling up to 242% better random write performance than competitive drives.1 The SSD also delivers sub-1 millisecond (1ms) latency for 6x9s quality-of-service (QoS) in mainstream drives, creating a new, industry-leading class of SSDs perfectly suited to deliver the consistency required in the cloud.2
The Micron 7500 SSD is designed to meet the demands of storage-intensive data center workloads, such as artificial intelligence (AI), databases, content delivery, real-time analytics, social media platforms, cloud computing and virtualization. Its remarkable QoS and performance provide rapid, reliable responsiveness for these demanding workloads. For example, the drive improves RocksDB performance by up to 2.1 times versus competitive SSDs.3
“The Micron 7500 SSD is a game-changer for data center workloads, delivering blazing-fast performance, exceptional QoS reliability and advanced security unmatched by any other SSD in its class,” said Alvaro Toledo, vice president and general manager of Micron’s Data Center Storage group. “Thanks to Micron’s industry-leading 232-layer NAND technology, we have achieved a breakthrough in latency, enabling response times below 1ms for 6x9s QoS in mainstream drives. This means our customers can run their data-intensive workloads faster, more efficiently and with more predictability than ever before.”
“Data center workloads are increasingly dependent on low latency. It is no longer a luxury, but a necessity for these workloads to deliver instantaneous and predictable results that businesses and consumers demand,” said Jeff Janukowicz, research vice president of IDC’s Solid State Drives and Enabling Technologies. “Whether it’s for financial transactions, online gaming, or AI training and inference, every millisecond counts. The future of data center workloads is centered on performance and efficiency. SSDs like the Micron 7500, which deliver low and consistent latency, are at the heart of it.”
The Micron 7500 SSD offers:
- Up to 7GB/s in sequential read and 5.9GB/s in sequential write performance
- Up to 242% better random write performance than competitive drives1
- Up to 97% better sequential write performance than competitive drives1
- Up to 13% better random read performance than competitive drives1
- Up to 83% lower random read latency than competitive drives in 100% read workloads4
- Up to 82% lower random mixed I/O latency than competitive drives in 70% read / 30 % write workloads4
The Micron 7500 SSD offers broad support for the Open Compute Project (OCP) SSD 2.0 specification,5 which provides intelligent management, performance optimization, seamless integration, and error handling for data center environments. The drive includes leading-edge advanced management and security features6 such as:
- Administrative commands to allow standardized control over functions such as namespaces and security, which easily integrate with OCP-compliant management systems.
- Latency monitoring to improve performance by enabling the tracking and diagnosis of latency issues reported through the storage stack.
- Error recovery and error injection features to enable rapid recovery of the drive and simulation of errors commonly encountered in servers.
- Self-encrypting drive (SED) options with AES-256 hardware-based data encryption, running at line rate, SHA-512 and RSA to keep data safe.
- Secure Encrypted Environment (SEE) to provide dedicated security processing hardware with physical isolation for improved security.
- SPDM 1.2 attestation verifies device identity and firmware integrity to validate trust in the SSD from manufacturing through deployment.
- Options for FIPS 140-3 Level 2 and TAA compliance to meet U.S. federal government procurement requirements.
Visit AITechPark for cutting-edge Tech Trends around AI, ML, Cybersecurity, along with AITech News, and timely updates from industry professionals!