Achieves Sustainability Goals and Significant Accomplishments in Annual Corporate Sustainability Report
Ryder System, Inc. (NYSE: R), a leader in supply chain, dedicated transportation, and fleet management solutions, announces significant accomplishments in ongoing efforts to reduce its environmental impact, invest in new technologies, and cultivate talent.
These and other industry-leading practices are detailed in “Impact for Good,” the latest Ryder Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR), showcasing the company’s commitment to efforts related to its environment, social, and corporate governance (ESG) initiatives. This new digital report also reinforces the company’s strategic sustainability strategy and significant accomplishments to improve upon its efficiencies to reduce both its environmental footprint and those of its customers during January 1, 2019, through December 31, 2020.
“For the last 87 years, Ryder’s core values of trust, innovation, expertise, safety, and collaboration have guided how we have done business every day, and how we respond to our customers, employees, and communities,” says Ryder Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert Sanchez. “Our supply chain, fleet management, and transportation solutions ease complexity, increase efficiency, and keep goods and materials flowing so that the economy can grow and thrive. When businesses outsource these critical functions to Ryder, they can tap into our expertise, infrastructure, and investment in the latest technologies to make them safer, more efficient, and environmentally responsible.”
As an industry leader, Ryder has the unique opportunity and ability to continually reduce the impacts of its operations, and those of the tens of thousands of customers the company serves. The company deploys advanced vehicle technologies, optimizes distribution networks, operates energy-efficient warehouses and maintenance facilities, recycles automotive wastes, advances sustainable best management practices, and selects like-minded suppliers to help Ryder and its customers reduce emissions and drive long-term value for their businesses.
“Our commitment to being a responsible corporate citizen extends into every aspect of our business, and a strategy rooted in a commitment to sustainability is critical to Ryder’s long-term interests financially, operationally, and ethically,” adds Chief Legal Officer Bob Fatovic, who oversees all Ryder CSR and ESG initiatives. “Our success gives us not only the means, but the responsibility to do good in the communities and protect the environments where we do business.”
Ryder focuses its corporate sustainability efforts in the five key areas of 1) Protecting Our Planet; 2) Fostering Talent, Diversity & Equality; 3) Safeguarding People; 4) Transforming Our Communities; and 5) Upholding Ethics & Integrity. Significant accomplishments in 2019 and 2020 include among others:
- Achieved 10% reduction in Scope 1 & 2 emissions since 2017.
- The majority of automotive waste products are either recycled, or refined and reused, including 2.9 million gallons of used oil from our maintenance and fueling locations.
- For the 12th consecutive year, Ryder was named a “Green Supply Chain Partner” in the annual Inbound Logistics “G75” special section, which recognizes 75 leading companies that demonstrate a deep commitment to efficiency and sustainability.
- A network of more than 350 Ryder Certified Driver Trainers, which enables peer-to-peer safety education and empowers employees to become leaders in driver safety.
- Through Truckers Against Trafficking (TAT), more than 22,200 Ryder drivers and technicians received TAT training to spot and report human trafficking.
- Ryder’s overall workforce diversity representation was 54% and 63% were diverse new hires.
- Built around four leadership competencies of character, judgement, relationships, and results, Ryder’s Principles of Business Conduct training covered 99.9% of employees in 2019.
- Named one of FORTUNE® magazine’s “World’s Most Admired Companies,” ranking as one of the top five companies within the Trucking, Transportation, and Logistics industry for eight years in a row.
- Donated $5.5 million to charitable partners through the Ryder Charitable Foundation.
Ryder’s Corporate Sustainability Report was prepared in accordance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards. It is also aligned to the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Air Freight & Logistics Standard, and to the recommendations of the Task Force for Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).